Monday, June 30, 2008

Sweet and Sour Sirloin Stir-Fry with Mashed Potatoes

It's more than 12 hours later, and I'm still not sure how I feel about this dish. I saw Rachael make it on TV (well, I saw some of it - I may or may not have fallen asleep) and bookmarked it on the Food Network's site.

It was definitely... different. I for sure didn't DISlike it... I'm just not so sure I loved it. But it was nice to venture away from chicken for a change...


This was an easy dish to prepare, although really? I don't know how people cook Asian food on a regular basis w/out having their arms burned off. That oil can FLY on such high heat! Yowza!

(Oh, I decided to do my blogs a bit differently. From now on, I’m going to link to the original, as always, but write out what I actually do. This way, when I remake it, I know what I did and don’t have to sift through some notes.)

Ingredients:
· 1 ½ pound piece sirloin, 1-inch thick
· 2 pounds Idaho potatoes, peeled and cubed
· Salt
· 3 tablespoons canola oil
· 1 large bunch broccoli, chopped
· 1 cup shelled frozen edamame
· 1 cup frozen peas
· 3 tablespoons brown sugar
· ¼ cup stir fry sauce
· ¼ cup yellow mustard
· ¼ cup ketchup
· 2/3 cup milk
· Freshly ground black pepper
· 3 tablespoons butter
· Handful fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
· Handful fresh dill, chopped
· Handful fresh chives, chopped

Pop the meat in the freezer for a few minutes to stiffen it up for slicing.

Place potatoes in a pot and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil. Salt the water and cook the potatoes until tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain.

Halve the steak lengthwise then very thinly slice the meat. Heat the oil in a very large skillet over high heat. When oil wafts smoke and ripples, add the meat and stir-fry until caramelized 3 minutes. Add peppers and stir-fry 2 minutes then add in scallions and edamame for 2 minutes more. Stir together the sugar, soy, mustard and ketchup and pour over stir-fry the last minute of cooking. Season, to taste, if necessary.

Mash potatoes with buttermilk, salt and pepper, hot sauce, parsley, dill, chives, adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve with stir-fry on top!

1 comment:

  1. Stir fries are such a great way to use up veggies! Looks good :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails