Wednesday, June 4, 2008

French Onion Risotto

My love affair with all things French Onion contines from my post below. What better side to my French Onion Pork Chops than... French Onion risotto!

I am very jealous of people who just have visions for a meal and can just create it. I mean, I can make alterations and adaptations, but I just don't have the... touch? to just whip something up.

Bethany, from This Little Piggy..., however, TOTALLY has that touch. And I am SO glad she does, because she used it to grace my kitchen table with this amazing side.

Like the pork, however, this photo just did not capture the deliciousness! I actually wish I had doubled the recipe to have even more, but my waistline is grateful that I did not.

Ingredients:

  • 3 cups of any combo of beef broth and water (I used 2c broth and 1c water)
  • 1 cup arborio rice
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons butter
  • 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
  • Half of a large onion, thinly sliced
  • Fresh thyme (The store was out of thyme, so I used dried. I used about a tablespoon, maybe a bit less, but it was a tad too much.)
  • 2 tablespoons sherry, to taste (I used just a splash since I intended on feeding this to my toddler!)
  • Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
  • Provolone or cheese of your choice, optional

In a medium saucepan, bring broth and water to a boil. Simmer on a low-medium heat.

Heat butter and olive oil in a large pot on medium heat. Add onion and cook 3-4 minutes until tender.

Add rice, stir, and cook 1-2 minutes. Add about 1/2 cup broth mixture. Cook on a low-medium heat. When almost all the liquid is absorbed, add the next 1/2 cup. Continue adding broth, 1/2 cup at a time. Before adding the last 1/2 cup broth, stir in thyme and sherry. Cook with remaining broth until rice is done. Season with salt and pepper.

Stir in cheese, if using.Makes about 4 small portions.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you liked it! I always have to make small amounts of risotto, because I find it hard to control how much of it I eat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been tagged. See my blog for details. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails