Thursday, June 12, 2008

Creamed Spinach Gratin

I admit it. I am just learning to like spinach. In the past, you couldn't pay me to put that green crap in my mouth. But now? YUM! Look at that, my mom was right when she'd tell me that I'd like it when I was older...

When I saw this recipe for Creamed Spinach Gratin on Christa's Kitchen Creations, I couldn't wait to try it. It looked so simple, yet delicious - and it was!





Ingredients:
  • 1 (10-ounce) bag fresh spinach
  • Cooking spray
  • 2/3 cup chopped onion
  • 1/4 cup tub-style light cream cheese
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 cup (1/4-inch-thick) sliced tomato
  • 1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
  • 2 tablespoons finely grated fresh Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 375°.
Remove large stems from spinach. Tear spinach into 1-inch pieces; place in a colander. Rinse spinach under cold water; drain. Set aside.
Place a large Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium heat until hot. Add onion; sauté 3 minutes. Add spinach; cover and cook 2 minutes or until spinach wilts. Add cream cheese, oregano, salt, and pepper. Uncover and cook an additional minute or until cream cheese melts.
Spoon spinach mixture into a 1-quart gratin dish or shallow casserole coated with cooking spray. Arrange tomato slices in a single layer on top of spinach,and sprinkle with breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails