Monday, June 30, 2008

Quick Marinara Sauce

I love making marinara sauce and trying out new variations. My ultimate goal is to come up with my OWN variation that will be my signature recipe that I can pass down to future generations...

This one by Giada, however, wasn't really it. I loved that it was so easy, but because it's "quick," the sauce didn't really have the time to allow the flavors to meld together. This recipe will probably only be used in the future as a "stand-by" sauce when I don't have time to make it for real.

Ingredients:

  • 2 28-oz cans whole tomatoes in juice
  • 1 bunch fresh basil, stemmed
  • 1/2 cup EVOO
  • 2 small onions, finely chopped
  • 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • s&p

In a blender, puree the tomatoes with their juice and basil until almost smooth. Set aside.

Heat the oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and saute until very tender, about 12 minutes. Stir in the tomato puree, oregano, and sugar. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Decrease the heat to medium and continue simmering until the sauce thickens slightly, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper.

2 comments:

  1. YUMMMM! I want to make some marinara, I never have. I might have too!

    Carrie (www.carriessweetlife.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A homemade marinara is a kitchen staple... yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails