Thursday, June 12, 2008

Crockpot Salsa Chicken

I don't really use my crockpot too often because if I set it on low, it will done hours before I get home from work; if I set it on high, I don't get home early enough to turn it on. (Note to self: get crockpot with a timer and automatic turn-on!) Therefore, for me, the crockpot is more of a weekend appliance, which kind of defeats the purpose.

Anyway, when Ryan was home sick last week, I thought it was the perfect day to throw this in; I'd be home at the right times to control it, and I wouldn't have to take too much time away from him when he wasn't feeling well.



I served this Crockpot Salsa Chicken by LovestoEat over rice, and I really liked the flavors. The chicken was tender and juicy, and it was a great comfort-ish type food after a crazy day. The best part about this is that there is NO prep work - you don't even have to think ahead and defrost the chicken!

Ingredients:
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts - FROZEN!
  • 1cup salsa-Fresh made salsa (I cheated and used one from a jar.)
  • 1 package reduced sodium taco seasoning
  • 1 can reduced fat cream of mushroom soup (condensed) or cream of chicken soup
  • 1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream

Add chicken to slow cooker.Sprinkle taco seasoning over chicken.Mix salsa and soup; pour over chicken.Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.At this point after the chicken was cooked, I shredded it with a fork (it was super easy). Stir in sour cream until heated, then serve. Serve over rice or tortillas.


2 comments:

  1. I make a variation of this all the time - I love it! And for the record, I always turn my crockpot on low around 7:30 in the morning and it's on until at least 6:00 and everything has always come out fine...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is not safe to put frozen chicken in the crock. Just an FYI...it should be defrosted first. Bacteria risk.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails