Monday, July 21, 2008

Turkey Florentine Meatloaf

I really, really like meatloaf. It tastes good and, really, what's not to love about a meal that you spend 5 minutes with and then let the oven do the rest of the work??



Plus, this recipe for Turkey Florentine Meatloaf from Pennies on a Platter is relatively healthy. Turkey, spinach, low-fat cheese... okay, maybe "healthy" is the wrong word. But it's not super BAD!

I had a bit of an issue getting the stuffing in and then relayering it, but it ended up just right and I would definitely make it again. YUM!


Ingredients:
  • 1 1/4 pounds ground turkey
  • 1 cup spaghetti sauce, divided
  • 1/2 cup Italian-seasoned bread crumbs
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
  • 2 eggs (or 1 egg and 2 egg whites), slightly beaten
  • 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed (optional)
  • 1 package (10 oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
  • 3/4 cup low-fat shredded mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 350. Line an 8- or 9- inch loaf pan with foil with dull side toward food. (I just PAM'ed it.)

Combine ground turkey, 1/4 cup spaghetti sauce, bread crumbs, onion, eggs, Parmesan cheese and fennel seed in medium bowl.

Press half of turkey mixture into foil-lined pan. Press a 1-inch indentation down center of mixture, leaving 1-inch thickness on all sides.

Toss spinach and mozzarella cheese together; spoon into indentation, mounding in center. Press remaining turkey mixture evenly over top, sealing edges.

Bake 45 to 50 minutes. Spoon remaining spaghetti sauce over meat loaf. Bake 15 minutes longer. Let stand 10 minutes.

5 comments:

  1. This is a recipe I've had my eye on to make soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good! I have it starred to try next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you like it! I'm thinking of making it again soon, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this tonight and mixed everything together instead of lumping the spinach in the middle and it was fantastic (I'm basically lazy)! Thanks so much for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this tonight & it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails