Monday, July 21, 2008

String Beans with Shallots

I love trying new things with veggies. I saw this one on Emily's blog: Rediscovering the Joy of Cooking. Well, I personally am glad she is rediscovering, because I got to eat the benefits tonight.

I bought a bag of string beans that was only 12oz and not a full pound, and then I forgot to adjust the rest of the recipe. I ended up with beans that were slightly too buttery/greasy as a result, but they were still really good!

It was my first time blanching, and I'm happy to report that I don't think I messed it up! Oh, and I also learned what haricots verts are; I've always wondered...


Ingredients:
  • 1 pound French string beans (haricots verts), ends removed
  • Kosher salt
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 tablespoon good olive oil
  • 3 large shallots, large-diced
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Blanch the string beans in a large pot of boiling salted water for 1 1/2 minutes only (if using regular string beans, blanch for about 3 minutes until they’re crisp-tender). Drain immediately and immerse in bowl of ice water.
Heat the butter and oil in a very large saute pan (12-inch diameter) or large pot and saute the shallots on medium heat for 5 to 10 minutes, tossing occasionally, until lightly browned. Drain the string beans and add to the shallots with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and the pepper, tossing well. Heat only until the beans are hot.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe if I make this, I can convince my husband green beans are good!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails