Wednesday, July 23, 2008

"Mexican" Sour Cream Rice

I put the "Mexican" in quotes because I omitted the peppers and the cilantro, perhaps the two main ingredients that make this dish Mexican.



Anyway, here's something else from my friend Brooke. It was SO good - a perfect side dish to my quesadillas. Since I omitted the peppers, I kind of wish I had added in some tomatoes or something, just to give it a little extra oomf.




(I left the recipe below as I found it on Brooke's blog since I really took out two of the main stars!)


Ingredients

  • 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
  • 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
  • 1 cup reduced fat sour cream
  • 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chile peppers
  • 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
  • 1 (8.75 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
  • salt and ground black pepper to taste

In a large pot, bring the rice and chicken broth to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 1-1/2 quart casserole dish.

In the pot with the cooked rice, mix the sour cream, green chile peppers, 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese, corn, and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to the prepared casserole dish, and top with remaining cheese.

Bake uncovered 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until cheese is bubbly and lightly browned.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds so good. Will try it this week. yum. thanks. sister java

    ReplyDelete
  2. made this last night and it was super yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails