Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Caramel Butterscotch Brownies

I finally did it. After months of having it starred in my reader, I have finally made the coveted Caramel Butterscotch Brownies from Proceed with Caution.

I was very afraid of the sweetness from the butterscotch as I am not really a fan, so I cut back a little on the amounts of butterscotch, caramel, and evaporated milk. To compensate in the filling, I added a small handful of chocolate chips. I am posting the recipe as it stands, however, so that I can continue to play around with it. (I think I see some sort of peanut butter concoction in my future...)


I'm glad I cut that stuff in half; it was very sweet and gooey as it is, and I'm afraid I wouldn't like them if there was more "filling" in them.
As usual, I was short about 5 spoonfuls of batter, thanks to a certain husband...

Ingredients:
  • 5 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped (At the last minute I realized I had none!! So... I used a few Hersheys bars.)
  • 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
  • 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick) cut into quarters
  • 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 1/4 cups sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup evaporated milk (I used skim. Hey, every little bit helps, right??)
  • 35 (10-oz. pkg.) caramels, unwrapped (or those mini caramel balls - they make life so much easier!) (Couldn't find those. Bummer!)
  • 2 cups (11-oz. pkg.) butterscotch morsels

1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Generously spray 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick vegetable cooking spray.
2. In medium heatproof bowl set over a pan of almost-simmering water, melt chocolates and butter, stirring occasionally until mixture is smooth. Whisk in cocoa until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
3. Whisk together eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt in medium bowl until combined, about 15 seconds. Whisk warm chocolate mixture into egg mixture; then stir in flour with wooden spoon until just combined. Spread half of batter baking pan, spread into corners, and level surface with rubber spatula; bake about 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, heat caramels and evaporated milk in small saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, until caramels are melted. Sprinkle morsels over brownie; drizzle with caramel mixture. Drop remaining batter by heaping teaspoon over caramel mixture. Spread as gingerly as possible to connect as much of the top layer of brownie as you can. It will cook up a little and heal itself if you get it most of the way there. (Don't worry about picking up a little of the caramel. It's aaaaaaaaall goooooood.) Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out with a small amount of sticky crumbs (or caramel!) clinging to it. Cool in pan on wire rack to room temperature. Cut into 16-25 squares, depending on how big you want'em!

2 comments:

  1. I missed this recipe! It sounds fabulous and hope to make it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails