Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Banana-Blueberry Muffins

I need to start making muffins more often.




I usually avoid blueberry muffins at bakeries or wherever because the blueberries taste funny and I'd rather have chocolate. But this recipe for Banana-Blueberry Muffins from MaryEllen is so perfect... the blueberries were so fresh and juicy! Rather than 1 1/2 cups of flour, I used a cup of whole-wheat flour and a half cup of all-purpose. Coupled with the bananas and oats, the texture was just so fabulous. I think these bad boys might become a breakfast staple for me...!




(And like Mary Ellen, I got more than the expected dozen too.)


Ingredients:

  • 1 and 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
  • 3 ripe, mashed bananas
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup oatmeal - quick or instant
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup skim milk
  • 1 large egg - slightly beaten
  • 2 Tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Prepare 12 muffin cups with papers or generous coating of cooking spray.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, oats, baking powder and salt.

In a separate bowl, mix together the bananas, milk, egg, oil and lemon juice.

Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just moistened.

Fold in the blueberries.

Fill each prepared muffin cup a little more than 3/4 full. Bake for about 20 minutes until golden brown. Stick a toothpick in the center of one of the muffins. If it comes out dry, the muffins are done. If there's a little batter stuck to it, you need to cook the muffins longer.

6 comments:

  1. Mmm, blueberries and bananas! What a great combo :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love blueberry and I love banana, but never thought to try them together. These look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished eating one of these! I think I may have to get more into baking just to make these more often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These muffins sound excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can i use frozen blueberries instead?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janet, I haven't tried frozen, but I don't see why not!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails