Saturday, July 5, 2008

Orange Cream Pie

I love that the cooking board I frequent does quarterly recipe exchanges. In addition to increasing my culinary repertoire, I get to try out recipes that I wouldn't select on my own.

Like this one.

I was assigned to make an Orange Cream Pie. I was a bit apprehensive about it, because really? In my world? Oranges are healthy and a truly good dessert is NOT healthy, so how can a dessert with oranges be good? Follow my logic?

Well, this one surprised me. I don't know that it's something I'd make again, but it was pretty good. I made it for a 4th of July barbeque, and by the end of the night there wasn't much left.

The only thing I regret is not beating the cream enough for the filling. I beat it and added it to the jello, but then when I whipped it for the topping, it had a consistency MUCH closer to cool whip. I wonder if it would have tasted even creamier had I done it right...



Anyway, thank you to whoever submitted this! I have also decided to submit this to Joelen's Fruit Frenzy event... how fun! Wish me luck...

Ingredients:

PIE CRUST

  • 3/4 cup crushed vanilla wafers or vanilla wafer crumbs
  • 3/4 cup crushed graham wafers or graham wafer crumbs
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
  • 1/4 cup margarine or butter
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

FILLING

  • 1 (2 3/4 ounce) packet orange flavor gelatin
  • 1 cup boiling water
  • 1/2 cup cold water
  • 1/2 cup frozen orange juice concentrate
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon orange extract, divided
  • 1/2 cup whipping cream
  • 3 tablespoons powdered sugar

TOPPING

  • 1/2 cup whipping cream
  • 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
  • 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
  • 1 (10 fluid ounce) can mandarin orange segments, well drained
  • 1/4 cup grated sweetened chocolate
PIE CRUST
In a medium-size mixing bowl, combine crushed vanilla wafers, crushed graham wafers and finely chopped pecans; mix well.

Add margarine or butter and blend using a pastry blender or a fork.

Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.

Prepare a 9 inch oven-proof pie dish by lightly spraying with a vegetable oil.

Dust with 1 tablespoon of flour.

Shake off any excess flour off pie plate (The spray and flour will prevent the shell from sticking to the pie dish).

Spoon wafer mixture into pie dish; press evenly to bottom and sides using a rounded soup spoon.
Bake in preheated 350 F oven for 10 minutes.

Remove from oven and let cool.


FILLING
In a medium-size mixing bowl, dissolve orange jello powder with 1 cup of boiling water.

Add 1/2 cup of cold water and let cool for about 15 minutes.

Add concentrated orange juice, lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon of orange extract and stir well to mix.

Place in the freezer compartment of the refrigerator for about 20 minutes or until just partially set; DO NOT LET HARDEN.

Remove from freezer and break up the jelly mixture using a whisk.

In a 2 cup measuring cup, add 1/2 cup whipping cream and using an electric mixer, beat until cream slightly thickens.

Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon of orange extract and gradually add powdered sugar, beating until thickened.

Add whipped cream to the jelly and fold in, (DO NOT BEAT).

Pour mixture into the cooled pie shell.

Place pie in the freezer compartment of the refrigerator for about 1 hour or until pie filling is set.


TOPPING
In a 2 cup measuring cup add 1/2 cup whipping cream and using an electric mixer, beat until slightly thickened.

Add orange extract and gradually add powdered sugar and continue beating until thickened.

Before serving pie, spread whipped cream over entire top of pie.

Place and arrange orange segments on top of whipped cream creating a pattern if desired.

Sprinkle with grated sweetened chocolate.

Serve pie chilled, not frozen.

1 comment:

  1. What a refreshing pie for summer! Great job and it looks good :) You can event submit this to the Fruit Frenzy blogging event I'm hosting (and maybe even win the giveaway prize too!) Details are in my blog, and hope you're holiday weekend is going well! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails