Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Chicken Caprese

Mary Ellen strikes again!!


I absolutely adored her Chicken Caprese dinner. The chicken was obscenely tender and juicy, and the pan sauce that was created was like none other I've ever concocted.


I don't even know what else to say about this. Make it tonight!! I know that it definitely won't be long before this little birdy returns to my kitchen.

Ingredients:

Marinade:
* If you are pressed for time the marinade is optional, but I feel it added a lot of flavor to this dish. Instead, season the chicken with salt and pepper, and season your flour with oregano, garlic powder, and onion powder.

  • 1/2 c olive oil
  • 1/4 onion, finely chopped
  • 5 basil leaves, chopped
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • Juice from 1/2 of a lemon
  • 5 thin-sliced chicken breasts

The rest:

  • 1/2 c flour
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 1/3 c dry white wine
  • 3/4 c low sodium chicken broth
  • 1 tomato, chopped (not too small)
  • A few slices of low-fat mozzarella
  • Basil for garnish

Mix marinade ingredients and pour into a plastic bag with chicken. Marinate in the fridge for several hours.

When ready to cook, remove chicken from the marinade and make sure all of the pieces of pepper and onion are removed.

Heat olive oil and butter over medium-high heat in a large saute pan.

Season chicken with salt and pepper, and then dredge chicken in flour, shake off excess, and add to the pan.

Saute for 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.

Remove chicken from the pan onto a dish and cover with foil to keep warm.

Lower heat to medium and add wine. Let simmer for 1-2 minutes while scraping up brown bits.
Add chicken broth and bring to a simmer.

Return chicken to the pan, cover, and let simmer for 10 minutes.

Add tomatoes and let simmer for 5 minutes.

Top each piece of chicken with a few pieces of mozzarella. Top with tomatoes from the pan, sprinkle with basil, top with some freshly ground black pepper if desired, and serve over pasta.

3 comments:

  1. Caprese salad is one of my faves... and I have no doubt in my mind this tastes as great as it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it!! I like how you used my exact recipe but it looks different than when I made it!! Looks yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made this for dinner tonight. It was wonderful, my 12 yr old really loved it and had seconds.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails