Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Risotto with Tomatoes and Mushrooms

I have recently discovered risotto, and always enjoy it. This one, however, was by far the creamiest I've ever had - which is ironic, since I added the liquid all at once and not a little at a time. I've never done it that way before... but I guess Heidi knows what she's talking about...


This one awesome. Loved every bite. I really need to stop making risotto, though, or I am not going to be able to fit through the door to go buy more Arborio...

Ingredients:
  • 1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes, drained
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • ½ cup dry white wine
  • 1 ½ cup chicken broth
  • 1 cup Arborio rice
  • 2 tbsp EVOO, divided
  • 1 package sliced mushrooms

Season the drained tomatoes with the salt and stir to combine. Allow the mixture to drain while prepping other ingredients.

Place a medium saucepan with a heavy bottom over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the Arborio rice to the saucepan and stir to evenly coat the grains of rice with the oil. Sauté the rice, stirring, for about 1 minute.Add the garlic, the white wine, and the broth and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring once.

Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook the rice for about 20 minutes: you want the rice to be tender, but still slightly firm to the bite. While the rice is cooking, prepare the mushrooms.

Heat a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Pour in 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the sliced mushrooms and sauté until all the moisture has evaporated, about 10 minutes.

To the skillet add the drained tomatoes. As soon as the rice is cooked, add it to the skillet.
Stir to combine. The texture should be moist and creamy. If necessary, add a bit more broth. Taste and add more salt if desired. Serve immediately garnished with some freshly-grated Parmesan cheese.

2 comments:

  1. I need to try this approach... I've been doing the stirring and stirring and stirring deal! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love shortcut risotto recipes! And mushrooms are one of my favorite add ins for it. Looks satisfying!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails