Monday, July 28, 2008

Granola Bars

Just like Brooke said when she posted these, it never dawned on me to make my own bars. I really love being able to make food for my son that I have control over; I know exactly what is in it. And I can vary the ingredients based on mood and what his favorite fruit of the minute is!

I had so much fun creating these for him, and I can't wait to make a (much unhealthier) peanut-butter and chocolate version for ME!



I feel, however, that these were kind of crumbly - definitely not a grab-and-go kind of food, unless I do so reaaaaaaaally carefully. But still - they tasted way better than I possibly imagined.



I followed Brooke's recipe almost exactly; I just left out the nuts.

Ingredients:
  • Butter flavored cooking spray
  • 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats or quick-cooking oats
  • 1/2 cup Fiber One cereal
  • 1 cup sliced almonds
  • 1/2 cup wheat germ
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 3/4 cup chopped dried fruit (I used raisins and craisins)

Spray a 9 by 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spread the oats, Fiber One, almonds, and wheat germ onto a half-sheet pan. Place in the oven and toast for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. In the meantime, combine the honey, brown sugar, butter, extract and salt in a medium saucepan and place over medium heat. Cook until the brown sugar has completely dissolved. Once the oat mixture is done, remove it from the oven and reduce the heat to 300 degrees F. Immediately add the oat mixture to the liquid mixture, add the dried fruit, and stir to combine. Turn mixture out into the prepared baking dish and press down, evenly distributing the mixture in the dish and place in the oven to bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Cut into squares and store in an airtight container for up to a week.

4 comments:

  1. They look fabulous and this recipe is also on my must try list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...mine weren't crumbly at all. They got very firm. Did you use rolled oats or quick cooking? Maybe that makes a difference. And yum - I want to try peanut butter and chocolate too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Granola bar is one of the snack my whole family like even my parents aged 60+. I would definately like to make my own bars with ingredients I like and hope my parents will be impressed, lol

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails