Sunday, March 1, 2009

Very Berry Muffins

I had such a blast baking cookies and Rice Krispies treats with Ryan, and he really seems to enjoy helping me in the kitchen.


I was in the mood to bake today, and thought muffins would be a good culinary activity. Plus, Ryan could have them for breakfast this week - he loves eating things he helped create!


I went digging through my Reader to find something that was reasonably healthy and didn't require a trip to the store. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised when I found the perfect muffin on my friend Brooke's blog (I believe Brooke found them here).

I stuck with her adaptations, and the only thing I changed was doing half whole-wheat for the flour.


And the verdict? Awesome. Ryan inhaled his, and my husband ate three of them at once!


Ingredients
  • 4 tbsp butter (melted and cooled)
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup sugar(plus additional for sprinkling)
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 1/2 cup frozen mixed berries (thawed and divided)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray muffin tin with cooking spray.

Combine flour, cinnamon, baking powder and salt; set aside. In a small bowl combine 1/2 cup berries and milk and mash well. In a medium bowl, cream butter and sugar; add egg and beat well. Gradually mix in dry ingredients by hand. Mix in berry/milk mixture, followed by remaining berries and mix until just combined.

Using two spoons pour batter into prepared muffin tin, filling each chamber 3/4 full. Sprinkle top of muffins with sugar. Bake for 22-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

2 comments:

  1. Yum! They look delicious. I *think* Brooke got the recipe from me...it's an adaptation of my mom's blueberry muffings which have been a hit in our family for years! I love how you tried half ww/half AP-flour combo...I may do that next time I make these :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I'm sorry! I just adjusted my post to reflect that. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails