Saturday, March 28, 2009

Penne alla Betsy

Aside from her Crispy Yogurt Chicken, Penne alla Betsy might be one of The Pioneer Woman's most famous dish. I did make it months ago, but it didn't come out right (my fault, not hers) and then I never got the picture off of my camera.

I suddenly got the urge to make it, although not being a seafood-eater, I omitted the shrimp. Ewwie. I would have ordinarily subbed in some grilled chicken, but it was a Friday during Lent, so I didn't this time.


I thought that the cream sauce was really delicious, and even Ryan ate it all. Of course, my parents were over and bribed him with a "surprise" (That "surprise" turned out to be a chocolate chip cookie the size of my HEAD. Mom? Dad? I ate all of MY dinner too, you know...!) but hey - whatever gets him to eat, right?


Ingredients
  • Olive oil
  • Butter
  • 1 lb of shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 3/4 lb penne or other short pasta
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup of dry white wine
  • 1 8 oz can tomato sauce (I used about a cup or so of homemade sauce)
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • Salt and pepper
  • Parsley
  • Basil

1. Put water on to boil for the pasta.

2. Heat a large frying pan and melt 2 tbsp butter and 2 tbsp olive oil in pan. Sautee shrimp until opaque and then remove to a plate to cool.

3. Melt another 2 tbsp butter and olive oil in the same pan and cook garlic until slightly browning. Add onion and cook until translucent.

4. Add pasta to boiling water and cook per package directions.

5. Add 1/2 cup of wine and allow to cook down for approximately a minute. Then add tomato sauce, stirring to combine, and cream.

6. Chop parsley and basil and add to sauce to taste. Add salt and pepper to taste.

7. Remove shrimp tails and chop shrimp into tiny, bite-size pieces. Return to sauce and stir to combine.

8. When pasta is cooked, drain, and then add to sauce, tossing to cover. (Or, if you're like me, add the sauce to the pasta pot because you don't have a big enough fry pan.) Serve!

2 comments:

  1. This is one of the recipes that has been on my list to try for awhile. Yours looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pictures have reminded me why I starred this recipe many months ago. I really need to make this pasta!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails