Thursday, March 5, 2009

FiberOne Bars

My breakfasts during the week are typically eaten in the car or at my desk while grading papers, so I always need something portable, not too messy, and of course, delicious. For that reason, one of my favorite things to eat are Fiber One bars; in fact, I usually keep a whole box in my desk drawer.

A few months ago, Brooke posted a DIY recipe for these little bars, and I quickly made them. However, I experienced the same dilemma she did - crumbly, trail-mix type very-non-bars. In fact, I don't even think I blogged about them.


So I was very excited when she posted a revision. Her post, which originates over at Must Love Chutney, promises to yield bars that much better hold their shape - and they sure do! They don't taste quite as good as the original, but they are really good.

Warning: Be prepared to smack your husband's hands away multiple times as he tries to pick the chocolate off of the top, resulting in some chocolate-bald spots!

Now... can anyone help me do a fake-out version of the Mocha Chocolate bar...?


Ingredients
  • 2 1/2 cups Fiber One cereal
  • 2 cups quick-cooking oats
  • 1/4 cup chopped almonds or peanuts
  • 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2/3 cup honey
  • 2/3 cup peanut butter
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup chocolate chips (optional)
  • I also added about a teaspoon or two of cocoa powder

In a large bowl, stir together the cereal, oats and nuts. Set aside. Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Combine the brown sugar and honey in a small saucepan over medium heat. Heat just until boiling, then remove from heat and stir in peanut butter, salt, vanilla and cinnamon until smooth. Pour over the cereal and oat mixture, stirring quickly (as sugar mixture cools it hardens quickly). Immediately press mixture into the prepared pan using the back of a large spatula. Lightly press chocolate chips into top of bars (if using). Allow to cool slightly, then cut into squares. Store in an airtight container.

Makes 18 bars.

2 comments:

  1. Hello, my new breakfast recipe, so lovely to meet you! :-)

    I can't wait to try these!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails