Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Mocha Ice Cream

I wanted to make a fun ice cream flavor for when my parents and brothers came over for dinner. My two favorite things in the world (besides Ryan, of course) are chocolate and coffee, so I set off on a search to find an ice cream recipe that would satisfy both.

This Mocha Ice Cream from myrecipes.com was perfect! It might be actually a TOUCH too rich, but that's really okay - that just means that I have a little less, and a) the ice cream lasts longer, and b) I don't get as fat. ;)


The only suggestion I have is to let the mixture sit in the fridge for much longer. After 2 hours, mine was not cold enough, and it didn't mix in the machine; I had to put the machine, with the mixture inside, in the freezer for another 45 minutes before it fluffed up.


Ingredients
  • 1 (8-ounce) package semisweet chocolate squares, coarsely chopped
  • 1/4 cup strong brewed coffee
  • 2 cups whipping cream
  • 1 cup half-and-half
  • 3/4 cup sugar, divided
  • 3 tablespoons instant coffee granules
  • 4 egg yolks

Microwave chocolate in a 1-quart microwave-safe bowl at HIGH 1 1/2 minutes or until melted, stirring twice; stir in brewed coffee. Set chocolate mixture aside.

Bring whipping cream, half-and-half, 1/2 cup sugar, and coffee granules to a boil in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar and coffee dissolve.

Beat yolks and remaining 1/4 cup sugar at high speed with an electric mixer until thick and pale. With mixer at low speed, gradually pour hot cream mixture into yolk mixture; return to saucepan.

Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 6 to 8 minutes or until mixture thickens and coats a spoon. Remove from heat; stir in chocolate mixture. Cover and chill 2 hours.

Pour chilled mixture into freezer container of a 5-quart hand-turned or electric freezer. Freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.

Pack freezer with additional ice and rock salt, and let stand 1 hour. Serve ice cream with cookies, if desired.

3 comments:

  1. This makes me wish I had an ice cream maker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too rich :)?! I don't know if that's possible for me, it looks super tasty. Those flavors are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm going to make this soon. Thanks for the tip about keeping it in the fridge longer.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails