I followed many of Brooke's adaptations and made some of my own. This is perhaps one of my favorite things about cooking; you make minor changes, and then someone else makes minor changes, and then someone else... and you have all of these cool variations on the same dish. I really enjoy making a dish "mine"!
Anyway, this dinner was so amazingly delicious. It was very comfort-food-ish, but I didn't feel super guilty about it. I will absolutely be making this again.
- Cooking spray
- 3 cups thinly sliced mushrooms - omitted only because I forgot to buy them
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 3 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) carton skim ricotta
- 4 cups hot cooked penne (about 8 ounces uncooked tube-shaped pasta)
- 2 cups shredded roasted skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup fat free half and half
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed reduced-fat, reduced-sodium cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
Preheat oven to 425°.
In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat, add mushrooms, garlic, and onion; sauté 4 minutes or until tender. Add spinach, basil, and black pepper; sauté 3 minutes or just until spinach wilts.
Combine spinach mixture, ricotta cheese, pasta, chicken, 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, milk, and soup in a large bowl. Spoon mixture into a 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheddar cheese and remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Bake at 425° for 25 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly.