Friday, March 6, 2009

Chocolate Chip Muffins

I think I hate Annie of Annie's Eats.

First of all, she's freaken gorgeous. And she was totally skinny like 5 minutes after giving birth to her equally gorgeous little boy. And she's a doctor. And she makes all of these AMAZING dishes. And she's probably the sweetest person I "know" on the cooking message board we frequent.

Okay, I don't hate her. I think she's awesome, actually. I'm just jealous. ;)


She just posted these awesome muffins a few days ago (which she adapted from Williams-Sonoma), and I couldn't wait to make them myself. They were fast and easy... and came out perfect, even though I kind of sort of forgot to set the timer and didn't realize it until I peeked at the stove to find out how much time was left and saw... the actual time. Whoops.

I changed a couple of things, though - I used half-whole-wheat flour and half AP. I also added some cinnamon to the flour mixture (maybe a teaspoon?) and sprinkled the tops with cinnamon sugar.


I also specifically overfilled the muffin liners - I love me some fluffy, oversized muffins! (Note to self - buy mega-muffin tin.)


Ingredients
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
  • 3 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 12 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • cinnamon-sugar, for sprinkling

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 13-14 muffin wells with paper liners.

In a medium bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Stir together with a fork. In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the butter and sugar. Beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Beat in the eggs one at a time, scraping down the bowl between additions. Mix in the vanilla until well blended. Add half of the flour mixture to the bowl and mix on low speed just until incorporated. Add the milk and mix until combined. Mix in the rest of the flour mixture, beating just until incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips using a rubber spatula.

Divide the batter evenly between the prepared muffin liners. Sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar to taste. Bake for 21-23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer the muffins to a wire rack and allow to cool completely.


4 comments:

  1. Aww, you are too sweet for saying all those nice things :) Your little guy is SUCH a cutie!!! Glad you enjoyed the muffins - I love the adaptations you made!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can i use whole wheat flour instead of half-half?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails