Thursday, March 12, 2009

Tuscan Casserole

Even though this pregnancy is not really allowing me to go completely meatless on Fridays during Lent, I try to at least avoid it during dinner. So it was pretty good timing when this Tuscan Casserole from Someone's in the Kitchen with Brina showed up in my reader!


I really enjoyed the flavors in this casserole and actually think I'd like to add to them next time. For example, I think some orzo in here would be awesome, or maybe some diced chicken or ground turkey.

I also added some mozzarella because really, everything is better with cheese! But stupid me put it under the layer of bread and I think it would have looked much more awesome on top. Oh well...


Ingredients
  • 1 15-oz can of cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
  • 10-oz package of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and thoroughly drained
  • 3/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
  • 1/4 cup egg substitute
  • 1.5 tsp salt (I would only use 1 tsp or less next time)
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 medium garlic cloves, chopped
  • 8 oz sliced mushrooms
  • 3 slices of reduced calorie bread, torn into small pieces (I found it easier to cube the bread)
  • 2 TBS shredded parmesan cheese

Instructions:
Spray an 8x8 pan with cooking spray. Preheat the oven to 350.
Combine beans, spinach, egg, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix to combine. Heat a skillet over medium high heat, add oil, and saute the onions, garlic and mushrooms until the shrooms start to brown and soften, about 10 minutes. Try to let as much liquid as possible evaporate, otherwise you'll end up with a wet casserole!
Add the onion mixture to the bowl and stir to combine. Spoon everything into the baking dish and evenly top with the bread pieces. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and bake until bread is toasted and spinach is warmed through, about 25 minutes. This serves 8 people, 2 points per serving.

3 comments:

  1. This looks perfect for a Friday night meal! (or any other night!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you liked it! I'm making it again this weekend.
    ~Beth (Brina)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails