Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Pasta Almost alla Marlboro Man

As I've probably said a billion times so far during this pregnancy, I could eat pasta every single night. As it is, I try to "limit" to no more than 3 or 4 times a week.

When I saw this recipe for Pasta alla Marlboro Man on The Pioneer Woman Cooks (anyone else dying to know what his name is?), I thought it had to be better. Sure, it was pasta, but the dude's a cowboy. A ranch guy. An outdoors, rugged manly man. So a skimpy pasta dish wouldn't do crap for him. There had to be tons of meat. And meat should be good for me and at least kinda sorta balance out the 3lbs of pasta I can pack away in a week.


I did make a couple of minor changes, so check in with Ree at the link above for the official version.


Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 pound ground turkey
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • Salt to taste
  • Freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • 1 generous teaspoon ground thyme
  • 1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes
  • 1 14-oz can crushed tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for sprinkling
  • 1 pound rigatoni

Heat olive oil in large skillet or pot over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook a couple of minutes, until starting to turn translucent. Add garlic and stir, cooking 1 minute, making sure not to brown the garlic.

Add ground beef and cook until brown. Drain most of excess fat.

Add salt, pepper, and ground thyme. Stir to combine.

Dump in canned tomatoes with their juice. Stir, reduce heat to low, and cover pot. Cook for 30 minutes, stirring a couple of times.

Uncover the pot and cook an additional 30 minutes.

Cook rigatoni according to package directions—don’t overcook! Drain and place individual portions into bowls.

Stir in 1/4 to 1/2 cup grated Parmesan into the sauce. Check and adjust seasonings. Ladle sauce over cooked pasta, sprinkle with more Parmesan, and serve.

6 comments:

  1. I feel like I could eat pasta everyday and I don't have the same excuse as you ;) This look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm pasta is my current fave too - this looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So was it as good as it looks? I have this one starred to make as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I eat pasta at least twice a week, but it's always whole wheat, so I figure it's not too bad for me! This looks very hearty and filling - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't really see what makes this "a la Marlboro Man" - this seems to be a very standard bolognese recipe to me - except I'd never use dried thyme, or add Parmesan to the sauce at the end.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails