Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Chicken Parmesan

I love chicken parm, but for some reason I don't really make it that often. I rarely fry anything, so I had been using a recipe that I found on the back of a Ragu jar.


However, thanks to Annie, I think I can put the Ragu jar back on the shelf. Her recipe for Chicken Parmesan (which she adapted from Brown-Eyed Baker) was so delicious! I have recently started using Panko instead of breadcrumbs, but have never toasted it prior to coating. It really makes such a difference!


This went over very well in our house. In fact, I purposely split one breast with Ryan for dinner so that I would have another to take for lunch the next day.


Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
  • 1 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
  • salt and pepper
  • 3 large egg whites
  • 1 tbsp. water
  • vegetable cooking spray
  • 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, butterflied and cut into halves (4 pieces total)
  • 2 cups marinara sauce, warmed
  • about 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1 tbsp. minced fresh basil


Adjust an oven rack to the middle position. Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F. Combine the breadcrumbs and oil in a 12-inch skillet and toast over medium heat until golden, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Spread the breadcrumbs in a shallow dish and allow to cool slightly; when cool, stir in the Parmesan.

In a second shallow dish, combine the flour, garlic powder, 1 tablespoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper together. In a third shallow dish whisk together the egg whites and water.

Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and spray the foil with vegetable oil spray. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels, then season with salt and pepper. Lightly dredge each chicken piece in the flour to coat completely, shaking off the excess. Then dip into the egg whites and finally coat with the breadcrumb mixture. Press on the breadcrumbs to make sure they adhere. Place the chicken pieces on the prepared baking sheet.

Bake until the chicken is no longer pink and feels firm when pressed with a finger, about 15 minutes. Remove the chicken from the oven. Spoon 2 tablespoons of marinara sauce over the top of each piece of chicken and top with 2 tablespoons of the shredded mozzarella. Return the chicken to the oven and continue to bake until the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with the fresh basil and serve as desired, with extra Parmesan and marinara sauce.

5 comments:

  1. This looks beautiful! I love the fresh basil on top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh toasting the panko - great idea! Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the most beautiful chicken parm I've ever seen. I honestly don't know if I'd be able to eat it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has a star for me! I can't wait to make it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails