Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Scalloped Potatoes

When I first saw this recipe on Sweet Savory Southern, I starred it immediately and couldn't wait to try it. I put it on the menu and thought it'd be a great compliment to pork chops.

The week got away from us, and I never got to make these. I later found out that it was a touch of fate; my mother-in-law gave me an awesome slicer/shredder thing for my KA mixer for Mother's Day! I couldn't wait to use it and was psyched to have a package of red potatoes just waiting to be sliced.

I planned to take a picture of the potatoes being sliced, but that little bugger is FAST! I had seven or eight potatoes sliced and in the bowl in a matter of seconds. I cannot WAIT to use the rest of the inserts for various meals.

Onto the potatoes - YUM! I think next time, though, I'd add a little... something. Not sure what. Maybe some broccoli... that'd be good! Then I wouldn't also have to prepare a vegetable. ;)



Ingredients:
  • 5-6 red potatoes, washed and thinly sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 a large onion, chopped
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1 cup heavy cream (or whole milk)
  • 1 Tbsp italian seasoning
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or blend of cheeses
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pepper
Begin by preheating the oven to 400 degrees. In a dutch oven or other heavy pan melt 2 Tbsp butter over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook 3-4 minutes until the onion cooks down a little. Add the garlic and italian seasoning and cook about a minute. Next add the chicken broth, milk, salt and pepper. Place the sliced potatoes into the pan, cover and let simmer about 10 minutes, until the potatoes are slightly tender. Top with the cheese and place the pan into the oven for about 15 minutes. Let sit 10 min before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails