Friday, May 30, 2008

Orange Beef and Broccoli

I tore this out of the May, 2008 issue of Everyday with Rachael Ray, even though I'm not a big beef eater. I say that a lot about beef and pork, don't I... but truthfully, I'm just a poultry girl. I could chicken or pasta every night and be very happy.

But I try to vary my menu, so once in awhile I'll throw in some cow or pig.

This dish was okay, but not spectacular. I think the orange flavor was a bit strong, so next time I might lessen the amount of zest. Also, I can't help but think that this would be SOOOOO GOOD with chicken...
Ingredients:
  • 1 bunch of broccoli
  • 1 1/4 cup of beef broth
  • 3 TBSP hoisin sauce*
  • 2 TBSP soy sauce*
  • 2 TBSP plum sauce*
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • zest of one orange, juice of half an orange, and wedges for serving
  • 1 3/4 boneless sirloin
  • 1/4 veg oil
  • 1 jalepeno chile, thinly sliced (I omitted.)
*The recipe suggested a time-saver: use a bottle of Asian Stir-Fry Sauce in place of the hoisin, soy, and plum sauces. I did just that - I used 7 tablespoons.
1. In a large skillet, bring 2 cups salted water to a boil. Cut the broccoli into 1-inch florets. Boil until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes; drain the broccoli and rinse under cold water. Reserve the skillet.
2. In a small bowl, stir together the broth, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, plum sauce and 1 tablespoon cornstarch. Stir in the orange peel.
3. Slice the steak 1/4 inch thick, then cut the slices crosswise into thirds; toss with the remaining 3 tablespoons cornstarch.
4. In the reserved skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the steak and jalapeƱo and cook, turning, until the meat is barely pink, about 2 minutes. Transfer the meat to a paper-towel-lined plate; discard the excess oil. Add the broth mixture to the skillet and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in the meat, broccoli and orange juice and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Serve with the orange wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails