Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Oatmeal Apple Cinnamon Mini-Muffins

I'm always on the hunt for new breakfast ideas for my 18-month-old. When I saw this muffin recipe on The Blooming Chef, I knew I had found a winner. Not a lot of sugar... fruit... oatmeal... what's not to love?

They taste great, too - moist and flavorful. Definitely a keeper.



Ingredients:
  • 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup rolled oats
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 beaten egg
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup cooking oil
  • 1 medium apple, peeled and cored, then diced


1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Grease twelve 2-1/2 inch muffin cups or line with paper bake cups; set aside.

3. In a medium bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and oatmeal. Make a well in center of flour mixture; set aside.

4. In another bowl, combine egg, milk, and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy).

5. Fold in the diced apple.

6. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each two-thirds full. Bake in a 400 (I did 325 since I was using a mini muffin pan) degree oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden and a wooden toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in muffin cups on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from muffin cups; serve warm.

3 comments:

  1. Yummy! I wonder if I could use bananas instead? Since I have like 80 of them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try using real Cinnamon in your recipe and reduce on the sugar. You could also avoid the toxic effects of Cassia.

    The Cinnamon that we buy in the US actually Cassia and could be toxic.

    http://www.ceylon-cinnamon.com/Identify-Cinnamon.htm

    ReplyDelete
  3. these look super yummy! i think i might make these tonight...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails