Thursday, May 8, 2008

Bruschetta Chicken

I was super excited about this meal as soon as I saw it on Picky Palate. However, as yummy as my pictures might look, this did NOT come out right. But... it is pretty much entirely my fault.


I should have just called it quits when I realized I had no fresh basil, but I plowed on with my bottle of dried. Clue number two: two of my four tomatoes were bad, and I realized TOO LATE that I should have then toned down the amount of garlic and balsamic vinegar... whoops.

Then, after it was ready, I set it up all nice and I took my pictures. The chicken seemed so juicy and I couldn't wait to dig in.

I started cutting it up, however, and realized it was still pink inside. UGH! Since it had the tomatoes and cheese, I didn't want to put it back in the skillet, so I threw it in the oven at 350 for 10 minutes.

Still pink.

Ten more minutes.

STILL FREAKEN PINK.

It took a total of THIRTY MINUTES before the chicken was cooked. Now, I've said before that I have problems with chicken because I buy them at BJs and they are HUGE. But this was RIDICULOUS. The chicken ended up being overcooked and dry and my sides were cold and I was grumpy.

The flavor, however, was amazing. I cannot WAIT to try this dish again, using thinner breasts, fresh basil, and the right amount of tomatoes!


(Yes... the pictures above are of very undercooked chicken!)

Ingredients:
  • 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • Pinch of salt
  • ¼ Cup balsamic vinegar
  • ¼ Cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 8 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
  • 4 Roma Tomatoes, seeded and diced
  • 8 fresh basil leaves, stacked, rolled and thinly sliced into chiffonade
  • 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar

1. Preheat a grill pan over medium heat on the stovetop. Spray with cooking spray. Combine balsamic and olive oil in a bowl. Season both sides of chicken with pinches of salt and place on grill. Brush top sides of chicken with balsamic mixture. Cook for 4-5 minutes and flip chicken. Brush with additional balsamic and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes or until cooked through. During the last 2 minutes of grilling place 2 slices of cheese over top each chicken to melt.

2. In a large bowl combine the tomatoes, basil garlic, salt and balsamic. Toss gently to combine. Place chicken breasts on a serving plate and top with tomato mixture. Serve warm.

2 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails