Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Taco Meatloaf

I used to get daily e-mails from Hungry Girl and I enjoyed seeing her recipes and insight on things. I've changed my email address and never got around to re-subscribing, but I probably should...

Anyway, my cousin bought me HG's book for my birthday. I've bookmarked a bunch of things, and this Taco Meatloaf is the first I've finally cooked.


I opted to use beef instead of turkey, and I don't really know why since I like turkey so much better. I also put the meat into my muffin tin rather than an actual loaf; just felt like a change, I suppose!


I do think I overmixed a bit, because while the taste was okay, the consistency was kind of rough. I would definitely make this again, but I will likely use turkey like HG advises.


Ingredients:

  • 1/4 cup chopped green bell peppers
  • 1/4 cup chopped onions
  • 1 lb ground turkey
  • 1/2 cup canned sweet corn (I used frozen.)
  • 1/2 packet of taco seasoning mix (Oh, CRAP - I just now realized that I used the whole packet. Ugh. I guess that contributed to the weirdness...!?)
  • 2 slices fat-free cheddar cheese (I omitted since I was doing the muffin tin thing.)
  • 1/2 salsa
  • 1/2 cup fat-free shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 375.

Cook peppers and onions for 3 minutes over medium high heat in a pan sprayed with nonstick spray.

In a large bowl, combine onions and peppers with turkey, corn, and seasoning mix. Spread half of the mixture evenly into the bottom of a loaf pan sprayed with non-stick spray.

Layer the two slices of cheese on top of the mixture. Evenly top with the remaining meat mixture.

Pour the salsa over the top of the loaf. Cook in the oven for 30 minutes.

Top loaf with shredded cheese. Return loaf to the oven and cook for another 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails