This Stuffed Pizza Pie was no exception. Ryan ate almost an entire slice by himself! Later, he kept coming up to me when I was trying to actually eat dinner myself, begging for more.
But this was absolutely delicious, and the fact that it was so simple is just a bonus. I'd love to play around with this and make different variations. The possibilities are endless...!
- 16 oz whole wheat or white pizza dough
- 1 Cup ricotta cheese
- ¼ Cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Cups fresh spinach leaves, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic (dried or fresh)
- 2 Cups fresh broccoli florets, steamed until fork tender, about 3 minutes in boiling water
- Pinch of salt
- ½ Cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 ½ Cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon dried Italian Seasoning
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Divide dough into 2 equal pieces. Spread and press one piece of dough into the bottom and sides of a 9-9 ½ inch round baking dish. In a medium bowl, mix together the ricotta and parmesan cheese until well combined. Spread into pressed pizza dough.
2. Place olive oil into a medium skillet over medium heat. Saute spinach until wilted down, about 3 minutes. Place evenly over ricotta cheese layer, and sprinkle garlic on top. Place steamed broccoli florets over spinach and season with a pinch or two of kosher salt. Layer roasted red peppers, then mozzarella cheese over top. Press out remaining piece of dough and place over filling, tucking edges inside of pan. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with Italian Seasoning. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until crust is golden brown and cooked through.
3. Let cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan or cutting into wedges.