Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Cheeseburger Risotto

Well, folks, it has happened - I have created my own recipe. This is something I've thought up and considered for a month or two now, and finally felt somewhat ready to bring it to life.


I absolutely adore risotto, and I've experimented with a few different flavor combinations. Somewhere, somehow, the idea of making a cheeseburger version popped into my head, and I was unable to shake it out.

I used Bridget's absolutely fabulous risotto as a base, and just kind of threw the rest together!

The taste was pretty good - nice and comfort-food-ish. I did think it lacked something, but I cannot put my finger on it. Any suggestions?




Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 to 1 lb ground turkey or beef
  • 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, diced fine
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • salt
  • 2 cups Arborio rice
  • 1 cup dry white wine
  • 1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
  • 2 tablespoons mustard
  • chopped tomatoes for garnish
1. Brown the turkey in the olive oil and set aside. Bring the broth and water to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Cover; turn the burner off but keep the pot on the burner.

2. Heat the butter and olive oil over medium heat until the foaming subsides. Add the onion and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the rice and 1 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring constantly, until rice is opaque, about 2 minutes. Add the wine and cook, stirring until the rice nearly completely absorbs all the liquid, about 1 minute.

3. Add 2 cups of the hot stock and stir occasionally until it’s mostly absorbed (the spoon will leave a trail on the bottom of the pan), about 6 minutes. Continue to add stock, 1 cup at a time, stirring frequently, until each addition is absorbed. Cook until rice is creamy but still somewhat firm in center (add more water in 1/2 cup increments if broth/water mixture runs out), 10 to 12 minutes longer.

4. Stir in cheese and reserved ground turkey. Add the mustard, and season with salt and pepper, if necessary. Serve with tomatoes or garnish of choice.

8 comments:

  1. Awesome job coming up with your own recipe! It looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would 1/2 pork sausage and 1/2 ground beef. :) It looks amazing though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *use

    It belongs in the comment above lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun idea! I once went to a restaurant that had a cheeseburger soup that was really good. Maybe you you could add some tomato paste and use a beef broth instead of chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just made my own version for my kids. I cooked my onion and hamburger then I added the rice and cooked it all together. I add some American cheese and some cheddar. My secret ingredient was finely chopped dill pickles! I think that adds the quintessential cheeseburger taste. I topped mine with a little more cheese and some french fried onions. Yummm :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with the above comment, this needs pickles!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails