Friday, February 12, 2010

Valentine's Funfetti Cupcakes

When Ryan's preschool class has a party, I like to try to bring in something somewhat healthy for the kiddies. For the Valentine's Day party, I was the first to sign up - and all thoughts of fruits and vegetables escaped from my head and I nabbed the cupcake spot.


Though I used canned icing, I was excited to try a homemade version - I even bought pink and white sprinkles to use. I tried to track down this cake's origin, and I think it started at Baking Bites. But I got it from Amber who got it from Annie... so I hope I'm properly giving credit!

They were, of course, nice and easy to put together, and they were rather yummy! I do think I would make more next time, though - I barely got the 20 I needed (17 kids + 2 teachers + 1 for me to try!) and some were rather dinky. I would probably double this if I were feeding a large crowd.


Of course, it wasn't until I was about to make these that I realized I had only 1 egg. I subbed an individual serving cup of applesauce instead, and they were perfect! And it made me feel better about giving these to a group of 3-year-olds. :)

As usual, I had my trusty helper in the kitchen with me - cowboy pajamas and sticker collection and all!


Ingredients
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 large egg whites
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup rainbow sprinkles

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour the sides of two 5-inch round cake pans, and line the bottom of the pans with parchment paper.

2. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir together and set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg whites to the bowl and beat until combined. Add in the vanilla and almond extracts and mix until incorporated. Mix in the dry ingredients in three additions, alternating with the milk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix just until incorporated. Fold in the sprinkles with a spatula.

3. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean (about 30-40 minutes for pans - 20 minutes for cupcakes). Allow to cool in pans 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Frost cooled cakes as desired.

1 comment:

  1. They look great! How did you ice them so pretty like?

    And I thought I was doing well by BAKING a package of muffins. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails