Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Fluffy Cous Cous

Guess what. Until the other night, I have never consumed nor cooked cous cous.

I really don't know why.

I loved this little side, and have already scoured the internet from yummy variations. Feel free to leave your favorites in the comments.

Thank you, My Kitchen Cafe, for opening a whole carb world to me. I'm so excited to have other starchy side dish options besides potatoes, pasta, and rice.


Ingredients
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 2 cups couscous
  • 1 small onion, minced
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 3/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth

Melt two tablespoons of the butter in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the couscous and cook, stirring often, until some of the grains are just beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Transfer the couscous to a large bowl.

Melt the remaining two tablespoons butter in the skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and salt and cook, stirring occasionally until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the water and broth and bring to a boil.

Pour the boiling liquid over the toasted couscous and cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap. Let it sit until the couscous is tender, about 12 minutes. Remove the plastic wrap and fluff the couscous with a fork. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.

6 comments:

  1. Glad I can be responsible for your consuming more carbs! We love couscous, too. Hope you find some yummy variations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to make this couscous in the summer, when I'm carmalizing onions to go with steaks on the grill. Delicious!

    Couscous with Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can eliminate the butter and use about a TBS of olive oil in the water boiling water to make it a little healthier. The brand "Near East" has a whole bunch of super fast and easy cous cous. (cooks in about 5 minutes).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too just made couscous for the first time, and its great! You can use chicken broth instead of water, and you can avoid having to add butter and salt and other flavorings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found your wonderful blog, everything looks delicious! Thanks for sharing these recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I love couscous but Chuck doesn't so I am always looking for yummy recipes to make for myself!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails