Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Chicken Enchilada Soup

Like many people, I get tons of use out of my crockpot in the winter. What's better than warm, comforting meals that require hardly any effort?

This soup from Brooke is no exception. Aside from a couple of quick chops, this baby was cooking away in no time. And like Brooke, I saved even more time by using Perdue Short-Cuts.

I absolutely loved this, and can't wait to make it again. It's so filling and delicious, and I really don't feel guilty about having seconds. This makes a complete dinner, and the leftovers make for great lunches.


Ingredients
  • 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
  • 1 10-ounce package frozen whole kernel corn
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped yellow, green, or red bell pepper
  • 1 10-ounce can enchilada sauce
  • 1 10.75-ounce can condensed cream of chicken soup, low-sodium
  • 2 cups milk (I used skim)
  • 4 chicken breasts
  • Optional toppings - shredded cheese, sour cream, green onions...

In a 3 1/2 to 5 quart slow cooker, combine drained beans, drained tomatoes, corn, onion, and bell pepper. In a large bowl, whisk together enchilada sauce and soup. Gradually whisk in milk until smooth. Pour sauce mixture over ingredients in cooker.Cover; cook on low heat for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours. Cut chicken into bite sized cubes. Cook over medium heat until cooked all the way through. Add into soup. Can be topped with avocado, sour cream, or crushed tortilla chips. Sprinkle a little cheese on top before serving.

2 comments:

  1. This looks really good. I love my crockpot. It is a savior in the winter or on busy nights. I may need to make this next week for lunches.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails