Saturday, January 30, 2010

The Outback's Mac-a-Roo and Cheese

Even though I have been trying to prepare meals that are a bit more health-conscious, sometimes you just need to splurge. This knock-off of the steakhouse's popular kid's meal is perfect for indulging, especially on a cold winter's night.

For years, I only ordered Mac-a-Roo and Cheese at the Outback - even as an adult (at least, until I discovered the wonder that is Alice Spring's Chicken). And now, Ryan enjoys it too, so I was excited to find a version to try at home.

I was skeptical about using Velveeta. I'm not afraid of processed food, but the idea of such a cheese really kind of grosses me out. Even as I was cooking, I sampled a piece of the cheese and - blech. I thought there was no way I'd enjoy this.

But the plastic-cheese flavor totally fades and combines with the roux and paprika to really form a yummy, albeit unhealthy, dinner. Ryan, who is not a big dinner-eater, gobbled it up and has requested it several times since.

I will definitely make this again (did I mention that it was super easy and fast?) and will probably make extra to portion out in single-serving sizes for fast lunches.


12 oz. Package of Medium Size Rigatoni Pasta
1/2 LB Store Brand Processed Cheese Food (cubed)
3 Tbsp. Butter
2 Tbsp. Flour
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/8 tsp. Paprika
1 1/2 C. Milk


Preparation:
Prepare Rigatoni using package instructions. Drain and set aside. In a large saucepan on medium heat melt butter and add flour, stirring constantly. Mixture should thicken. When flour thickens add milk, salt, paprika, and cheese cubes. Stirring constantly until the sauce thickens but yet is smooth. The cheese sauce should resemble an extra thick cream. If mixture is to thick a little more milk may be added. Pour the drained pasta in the sauce and gently stir well. When pasta is completely coated with sauce mixed well the Mac A Roo is ready to serve.

4 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! I love a good mac and cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that looks just like Kraft in the blue box!

    It's probably a little more complicated, but I make this for A about once a week--a little bit more healthy than Velveeta and very tasty:
    http://tinyurl.com/yazeujl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, posting under the wrong login! It's SBF! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha like kraft, but i'm sur emuch better. I'll admit, a little skeptical when good cheese is so easily had, but as always I'm interested in experiments.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails