Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Monkey Oatmeal

My husband bought me Hungry Girl's latest cookbook, 200 Under 200, for Christmas, and so far I really love it. It's full of great breakfast, lunch, and snack ideas that are actually filling but guiltless.


This yummy little oatmeal dish actually seemed like a treat! I think I may have used too much chocolate, though; I have only a canister and not individual packets. I followed the can's instructions for a single serving, but it seemed like a lot. I would definitely cut back next time.


As I'm sure you can imagine, Ryan was pretty sold on this breakfast from the title alone. I doubled it for the two of us, and he actually ended up eating more than I did! He has requested it several times since.


Ingredients
  • 1/3 cup regular oatmeal (not instant)
  • 1 25-calorie packet diet hot cocoa mix
  • 1/2 medium-sized banana, squashed
  • 1/8 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 no-calorie packet Splenda
  • dash salt
Pour hot cocoa mix into glass with cinnamon, sweetener, and salt. Add 1/4 cup hot water and stir thoroughly. Once cocoa has dissolved, add 1/4 cup cold water and stir. Place in refrigerator to chill (note: I totally skipped this step and it was fine). Combine with mashed banana and oats in a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl, and mix well. Microwave for 2 1/2-3 minutes. Give it a stir, and then allow oatmeal to cool and thicken.

1 comment:

  1. That looks really delicious. I've been wanting some quick, easy and filling recipe for breakfast. I'm looking forward to trying this one out! :-)

    ~ Carrie ~

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails