Friday, January 8, 2010

Superbowl Snack Throwdown: Crockpot Sloppy "Joeys"

Before I talk about this yummy little sandwich, I want to take a minute and thank each of you. Over the past few months, you have voted for my recipe and helped me throughout HighLowAha's competition. You have passed along voting information to your friends and family through email, Facebook, message boards, etc... and I cannot come close to properly expressing my gratitude.

You can now, however, rest your fingers, as voting is over for the season. For the next three weeks, Kate and I will be judged by Beantown Baker and Struble Suds as always, along with a new guest judge who will actually recreate and sample our recipes.

Now... onto the food!


You all know that I love my crockpot, and I really enjoy using it for entertaining. There's just something so wonderful about throwing things into the pot and actually being able to mingle with your guests.

For that reason, I think that these little Sloppy Joeys (I call them "Joeys" since they are smaller than your regular Joe) are perfect for your football get together. Casual and informal, your guests can even, dare I say, serve themselves quickly in between plays.


Not only are they delicious and full of flavor, but the use of turkey instead of beef makes them slightly better for you, and they are actually really filling. And the ease of preparation? Unbelievable. Brown the turkey, throw it in, and voila. Yumminess.


Ingredients
  • 2 lbs ground turkey
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 3 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon hamburger seasoning
  • 1/4-1/2 cup tomato sauce (optional)
  • 12-16 slider rolls
Cook the turkey in a skillet over medium heat until browned, about 8-10 minutes. Drain, and add to crockpot.

Combine the remaining ingredients (except for sauce and rolls) and cook, covered, on low for 3-5 hours.

Check on it about a half hour before the end cooking time. If the mixture appears a little dried out, add some sauce to achieve desired consistency and flavor.

Serve on slider rolls.

(Inspired by Betty Crocker.)

1 comment:

  1. This reminds me of a Friends episode. I can't remember the exact scene or the circumstances at all, but the tone of voice in which I read the title was Joey saying "Joey," in his sad disappointed voice. I'll ask the Friends guru tonight.

    Your Joeys look Muy Delicioso!!

    Good luck in the rest of the competition!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails