Saturday, January 9, 2010

Herb-Roasted-Tomato Panini

I guess it was no secret that I wanted a panini press, since I received THREE of them for Christmas this year.

I have been thoroughly enjoying the new addition to my kitchen. Everything tastes better on it - French Toast, quesadillas, you name it. I love having a whole new slew of fast and easy dinners options!

(Of course, you can use a grill pan and a skillet to achieve the panini, but the desired results are so much better on the press!)

I also discovered that the bakery in my Stop and Shop makes awesome multigrain panini-bread - it's labeled just that. It's perfect - crunchy without being too crispy, and it doesn't get soggy very easily. And the flavor is fantastic!


Ingredients
  • 2 pints grape tomatoes
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • basil, divided - 2 tablespoons finely chopped, plus an additional 16 whole leaves
  • 8 slices panini bread
  • 4 wedges Garlic and Herb Lite Laughing Cow cheese
  • 12 slices mozzarella cheese
  • cooking spray

Preheat your oven to 425.

In an oven-safe baking pan, toss tomatoes, olive oil, and chopped basil. Roast for 20-25 minutes, or until tomatoes start bursting. Using a potato masher, smoosh the tomatoes.

Preheat your panini press.

Spread half of a Laughing Cow wedge over each slice of bread. Place a slice and a half on top of each slice of bread (or as much/little as it takes to fit the slice).

Spoon the tomato mixture over 4 slices of bread, and cover with the basil leaves. Top with one of the other slices of bread.

Spritz your panini press with cooking spray and cook according to the manufacturer's instructions.

(Inspired by Rachael Ray.)

2 comments:

  1. Which press did you end up keeping? That recipe looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny; it was no secret that I wanted an ice cream maker yet I was told there was "nothing" on my list and said person gave me a bridal shower esque punch bowl. I'm glad your relatives listened to your list!!

    the panini looks great! Makes me really wish I had a press or a grill pan!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails