Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Oreo Mint Ice Cream

I cannot even tell how unbelievably giddy I was when Pat's sister and brother gave me (US! I mean US!) the ice cream maker attachment for my KitchenAid mixer.

I immediately started scouring blogs for recipes and landed, of course, at my friend Brooke's blog. I have recently fallen in mad, passionate love with the Thin Mint Blizzard at Dairy Queen, and I thought this might satisfy that craving.

Well, it didn't, but it's okay - there is a brand new place in my heart for this recipe. So good! I must confess that I kept sticking my finger in the bowl as it was churning, and I didn't even freeze it before helping myself to a bowl. Of course, it's at a much better consistency when frozen all the way, but really? No such thing as BAD ice cream.

I know you agree.


Anyway, part of me wants to keep making this over and over, and the other part of me can't wait for it to be gone so I can try a new flavor.

(Don't tell my husband, but I think next up on my list is a pumpkin pie ice cream...!)

Oh, and I just learned how to edit photos, so forgive me while I experiment and play around.




Ingredients
  • 2/3 cup coarsely chopped Oreo cookies
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2 cups heavy or whipping cream (I replaced half a cup with skim milk.)
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 tsp peppermint extract

Place the cookies in a bowl, cover and refrigerate. Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 1-2 minutes. Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more. Pour in the cream and milk and whisk to blend. Add the peppermint extract and blend again. Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's directions. After the ice cream stiffens (and about 2 minutes before it is done) add the chopped cookies and continue freezing until ice cream is ready.

Like Brooke, I also added a few drops of food coloring, since I like my mint ice cream green!

3 comments:

  1. This looks delicious. I'm also loving the idea of pumpkin ice cream. Think of all the fall mix in possibilities!
    I think I may be pulling my ice cream maker out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. People keep posting about new ice cream makers, which is really making me want one! I don't know how much longer I can resist. It sounds like so much fun to have a good base and then think of your own flavor combinations. Have fun playing with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks fantastic! And I've been meaning to go to Dairy Queen for that Thin Mint Blizzard for months. Why haven't I?!?!?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails