Monday, September 15, 2008

Dinner Divas: New Coq au Vin

First of all, I gotta confess - I've avoided making this meal for a really long time, simply because I have no idea how to pronounce it. In my head, I say, "Coke-ahh-veeen," but I have no idea if that's correct.

Anyway, luckily, pronounciation is not a requirement for actually cooking this awesome meal, chosen for the Dinner Divas group by Jenn.


I threw in some carrots for fun, but didn't really alter the recipe. I do wish, however, that I had purchased boneless/skinless thighs, but what can you do.

Oh, and did you notice how runny my mashed potatoes are?? Holy milk, Batman!




Ingredients:



  • 6 chicken thighs with skin and bone (2 pounds)

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil

  • 10 garlic cloves, halved

  • 3 celery ribs, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces

  • 1 cup dry white wine

  • 1 cup water

  • 1/4 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
Pat chicken dry and season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.

Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Sear chicken, skin side down, in 2 batches until golden brown (do not turn), 3 to 5 minutes, then transfer to a plate.

Pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat from skillet. Cook garlic and celery in skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently, until golden and just beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add wine and boil, uncovered, until reduced by about half, 3 to 5 minutes. Add water and bring to a simmer.

Return chicken, skin side up, to skillet and simmer, partially covered, until cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley.

2 comments:

  1. Wow - I need to save this recipe. I made coq au vin a few months ago and it took 48 hours of marinating and 3 hours of cooking!!! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Coq au vin" is pronounced, roughly, like this:

    cock oh van

    ...although "vin" is nasal and the "n" sorta clipped, where "van" is neither. But close 'nuf.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails