Saturday, September 27, 2008

Chicken with New Potatoes and Spinach

I found this Sandra Lee recipe on Brooke's blog and couldn't wait to use it. I feel like this has been Brooke Week... although, rarely does a week go by that I DON'T pilfer one of her recipes...! (I actually decided to give her her own tag!)

Anyway, my mom was watching Ryan for the day since I had Back-to-School-Night at work. I was just going to stay at school all evening and not bother coming home in between, so I set up the crockpot so that they'd have dinner.


This was really easy to assemble. I used thighs instead of breasts, so the 10 minutes wasn't quite enough in the broiler, but it didn't matter. To save time in the morning, I chopped the potatoes the night before. I stashed them in a giant ziploc in the fridge over night, drizzled with some olive oil and sprinkled with some Italian seasoning.
I didn't get around to trying it myself until a day or so later, but it was pretty good. The chicken was tender - no knife required. I did pay attention to Brooke's suggestion about more soup; I only had the one can, so I also poured in about 3/4 cup of broth.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 lb small red potatoes, quartered
2 bags (6 ounces each) baby spinach
1 cup frozen chopped onion
1 can (10.75 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup
Preheat broiler. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Trim fat from chicken. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper and arrange chicken on baking sheet. Broil 6 inches from heat 10 minutes or until chicken is golden*. In a 4-quart slow cooker, arrange potato quarters. Top with spinach and onion. Spoon half of the soup on top of spinach; add chicken. Spread with remaining soup. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours.
*This step may be omitted but it produces a better flavored dish.

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails