Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Rotini with Cheese

I'm not a bacon fan at all, but I've recently discovered that I do enjoy turkey bacon.  I don't know if it's truly healthier, but I definitely can appreciate the flavor it adds to my meals.

My good friend Jenn made this not too long ago, and though she didn't give it rave reviews, she liked it enough for me to give it a whirl.

Mine didn't look like either Jenn's photo or Cooking Light's, but I suppose that's not unusual.  I agree with Jenn that it is "good but not great" - I do feel like it's lacking something.  I just don't know what... stay tuned for a makeover!


Rotini with Cheese
  • 3 turkey bacon slices
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 TBSP all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
  • 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
  • salt & pepper
  • 5 cups hot cooked rotini (about 8 ounces uncooked pasta)
  • 3/4 cup frozen green peas, thawed

1. Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan; crumble. Increase heat to medium-high. Add butter and oil to drippings in pan; swirl to coat. Add onion; sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; sauté for 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add flour, and sauté 1 minute, stirring frequently. Gradually add 1 cup milk, stirring constantly with a whisk, and bring to a boil. Cook for 3 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat. Let stand 3 minutes. Add cheeses, salt, and pepper, stirring with a whisk until smooth.

2. Place pan over low heat. Stir in bacon, pasta, and peas; cook for 1 minute or until thoroughly heated, tossing to coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails