Rotini with Cheese
- 3 turkey bacon slices
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 TBSP all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- salt & pepper
- 5 cups hot cooked rotini (about 8 ounces uncooked pasta)
- 3/4 cup frozen green peas, thawed
1. Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan; crumble. Increase heat to medium-high. Add butter and oil to drippings in pan; swirl to coat. Add onion; sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; sauté for 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add flour, and sauté 1 minute, stirring frequently. Gradually add 1 cup milk, stirring constantly with a whisk, and bring to a boil. Cook for 3 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat. Let stand 3 minutes. Add cheeses, salt, and pepper, stirring with a whisk until smooth.
2. Place pan over low heat. Stir in bacon, pasta, and peas; cook for 1 minute or until thoroughly heated, tossing to coat.