Friday, January 7, 2011

Crockpot Creamy Wild Rice and Chicken Soup

Poor Ryan woke up with a fever this morning, so I had an unexpected day off with my guy. It's usually little Danny whose illnesses keep me home from work, but today was Ryan's turn.

Between the sickness and the fluffy snowflakes that fell gracefully for most of the morning and afternoon here in NJ, today was the perfect day to double-up on crockpot cooking.


On the right in the bigger pot, I set up some beef stew for dinner, and I used my brand new 4-quart for some delicious creamy soup.

This soup was so unbelievably delicious. I had two bowls for lunch (okay, FINE - three) and even ditched the stew in favor of another big bowl. This might not be the healthiest soup out there, but when it's snowing and you're fending off some kind of cold and your four-year-old has a fever, it hits the spot.

I slightly adjusted the timing/steps of this soup (the original appears below) because I cooked a whole chicken the night before and wanted to use some of that. So I set up the crockpot without the chicken, and added it when I added the roux.


Crockpot Creamy Wild Rice and Chicken Soup
from 365 Days of Slow Cooking
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 package of long grain and wild rice rice-a-roni
  • 1 cup grated carrots
  • 1 cup diced celery
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 2 cups half and half (I used whole milk)
Combine broth, water, carrots, celery, chicken and rice (along with seasoning packet) in a large slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.

Take out chicken and shred with two forks and then add back into slow cooker.

In a small bowl combine salt, pepper, and flour. In medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in flour mixture by tablespoon to form a roux. Whisk in cream, a little at a time, until fully incorporated and smooth.

Stir cream mixture into slow cooker and then let cook on low for 15 more minutes.

2 comments:

  1. The soup looks perfect. It'd be good for a cold, snowy day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This soup was AWESOME! But I just wanted to double check the measurements -- is the roux recipe correct? The first time I made it, I followed the recipe exactly and ended up with an overly thick, porridge-like consistency (still delicious, once I thinned it with chicken stock). This time around, I used 3 Tbsp. butter, 1/4 cup flour, and 2 C cream -- turned out perfect, and looks more like your picture. Regardless, thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails