Monday, January 24, 2011

Crockpot Meatball and Veggie Stew

One of the best things about having mom-friends is that you're all in the same boat with the same priorities.  As much as we love to cook, no one wants to spend hours in the kitchen prepping dinner when there are too many games of Uno to be played or pages to be colored or Lego towers to be built.  Yet, of course, it is important to keep our families' bellies full of nutritious food.


My friend Colleen recognizes the value of the crockpot as much as I do - I'm pretty sure I've said that before!  This stew she posted a few months ago really hit the spot during a snow storm.  I served it plain, but this would go great over egg noodles!

If you want to "lighten up" this meal, use turkey meatballs instead (store-bought or homemade) and low-fat gravy.


Crockpot Meatball and Vegetable Stew
from Better Homes and Gardens
  • 1 16- to 18-ounce package frozen cooked meatballs
  • 1/2 of a 16-ounce package (about 2 cups) loose-pack frozen broccoli, corn, and red sweet peppers, or other mixed vegetables
  • 1 14-1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes with onion and garlic, or stewed tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 12-ounce jar mushroom gravy
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil, crushed
Place meatballs and frozen vegetables in a 4 quart slow cooker.

In a medium bowl, stir together tomatoes, gravy, water, and basil; pour over meatballs and vegetables.

Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or HIGH for 3-4 hours.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you all liked it! And thanks for posting this and reminding me of it - it's back on my menu this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been saving so many recipes from your blog lately! And I'm adding this to the list. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails