Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Chicken and Chickpea Salad

I love pasta.  Love it.  I'm sure you've figured that out, though, since I probably say that in 50% of my blog posts about pasta.

This Chicken and Chickpea Salad was not only delicious, but also my first time using Dreamfield's pasta.  Prior to this, my head threatened to explode every time I even considered spending almost $3 for less than a pound of pasta.  But finally I decided to go for it... I figured if I'm eating pasta this often, it may as well be a little good for me.

Although I could taste a slight difference, it really was pretty close to the taste of regular white pasta.  Try as I might, I cannot get myself to like whole wheat pasta, so this is a nice alternative.

I'm sure this salad will be even better in the spring and summer, but for now, it's a yummy dinner and I feel less guilty bringing the leftovers to work for lunch.


Chicken and Chickpea Salad
slightly adapted from Christine's Cuisine; originally from Get Cooking
  • 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas
  • 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. fresh chopped thyme
  • 1 tsp. fresh chopped oregano
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 6oz fresh mozzarella, cubed
  • 1-1 1/2 cup cooked shredded chicken
  • 1 tsp. pepper
  • 1lb pasta 
  • 1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
  • 2-4 cups arugula
  • 1 cup tomatoes, roughly chopped

Drain and rinse chickpeas.

Combine vinegar, garlic, salt, thyme, oregano, pepper and olive oil. Whisk to mix. Stir in chickpeas, chicken, and mozzarella. Cover and let sit at room temperature for 30 min-1 hour.

Make pasta according to box directions. Drain and add to chickpea mixture.

Toss with parmesan, arugula, and tomatoes. Serve immediately.

3 comments:

  1. All we eat here is Dreamfield, since I had GD. it's $$$ but worth it because we love pasta too, and Frank will actually eat it! He won't eat chickpeas though :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. this sounds like a really nice dish

    ReplyDelete
  3. This dish looks so healthy and fresh! I love the fresh cubes of mozzarella too. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails