Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Risotto Marsala

I used to make risotto somewhat frequently, but always as a side dish. Lately, however, I've found it more difficult to prepare it as well as a main dish (this would be thanks to two active but very adorable little boys), so when I do put risotto on my menu, it's a solo act. For that reason, I don't make it as often as I'd like.

I found this on Pink Parsley, a blog which I only recently discovered. I adore the title of her blog, but that's nothing compared to the goodies inside. I have saved several of her recipes and I can't wait to try them out.

I adjusted this slightly to fit my needs and just overall how it was turning out as I cooked. It's not too far off, though, but you can certainly check out her original.


Ingredients
  • 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
  • 1 medium shallot, minced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 cup Arborio rice
  • 1 cup Marsala wine
  • 3-4 cups low-sodium broth (chicken, beef, or vegetable)
  • 2 cups cremini mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 Tablespoons fresh basil, minced
  • kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
Melt 2 tablespoon of butter in a large heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat until foaming subsides. Add shallots and saute until soft, 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper and stir to combine. Cook until fragrant, 1 minute.

Meanwhile, heat the chicken stock in a medium saucepan until simmering.

Add the Arborio rice to the butter and shallots and toast until opaque around the edges, 3-5 minutes. Add the Marsala wine and cook, stirring often, until absorbed, 5 minutes or so.

Stir in 1 cup of the chicken broth, and stir occasionally until almost absorbed, 5-8 minutes. Working 1 ladle of broth at at time, continue to add broth, stirring constantly. Add the next ladle when the broth is almost completely absorbed.

When you have added about half of the broth, stir in the mushrooms. Continue to cook risotto, stirring constantly and adding broth 1 cup at a time until it is al dente, for a total of 20-25 minutes.

Remove from heat, and stir in basil and remaining butter. Add salt and pepper if necessary and season to taste. Serve immediately.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that risotto is too time-consuming to make all the time, but it sure is delicious. This version looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Pink Parsley too... that lady makes so much tasty-looking risotto! Will definitely have to try this one now, yours looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have a hard time finding the time to make risotto as much as I'd like. But perhaps this recipe can get me out of my risotto funk

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails