I have loved learning my way around the kitchen (and the camera) over the past couple of years and I thank you for coming along for the ride.
To celebrate, Ryan and I made these Spaghetti and Meatball Cupcakes (courtesy of the fantastically adorable book, Hello, Cupcake!) since we were going to have a family movie night and watch, of course, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.
Ryan helped me with most of this and certainly ate his fair share of the final product! The only change I made was to replace the Ferrero Rocher candy with a Lindt truffle to avoid the hazelnuts. I also learned that I should have put the chocolates into the fridge or freezer for a few minutes; they started melting a little when I placed them in the jelly.
- 1 box yellow cake mix, plus ingredients listed on box
- 1 batch of buttercream or vanilla icing, storebought or homemade
- 1/2-1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- yellow food coloring
- 12-24 Ferrero Rocher candies (or candies of similar size)
- 3/4 cup strawberry preserves (sugar-free provides better color)
- small amount of white chocolate (I literally used less than 1 chip)
Bake the cupcakes according to the box and allow to cool completely.
Combine the frosting, cocoa powder, and food coloring and mix to desired color. Dump in large ziploc bag. Cut the bottom corner of the bag, creating a very small (maybe 1/4") hole.
Pipe the icing in a random pattern on the top of the cupcakes to look like spaghetti.
Microwave the fruit preserves just to thin out a bit and add the candies. Top each cupcake with a "sauce" covered "meatball." Grate the white chocolate over the top and enjoy!