Friday, February 20, 2009

Hot Fudge Sauce

I could not hit "s" for "star" fast enough when this recipe for Hot Fudge Sauce popped up in my Google Reader from Deb's Smitten Kitchen.

I was initially disappointed that my sauce didn't seem as thick as hers, and I was set to have a watery flavor/consistency, but the taste is oh... my... god. I want to go home and lick the bowl.


Hot Fudge Sauce
Adapted from Silver Palate Cookbook [Anyone remember this?]

This is a deep, dark fudgy bittersweet sauce that firms up on ice cream.

  • 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
  • 3 tablespoons butter, unsalted
  • 2/3 cup water
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 6 tablespoons corn syrup
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 tablespoon rum (or other flavoring, such as a flavored liquer or vanilla extract)

Melt the chocolate and butter very slowly in a double boiler or in the microwave, stirring frequently until combined. Meanwhile, heat the water to boiling in the small, heavy saucepan. When the butter and chocolate have melted, stir the mixture into the boiling water. Add the sugar, corn syrup and salt and mix until smooth. Turn the heat up and stir until mixture starts to boil; adjust heat so that sauce is just maintained at the boiling point, stirring occasionally. Allow sauce to boil for nine minutes.

Remove from heat and cool for 15 minutes. Stir in the rum and serve warm over ice cream.

Do ahead: Sauce can be easily and quickly reheated in the microwave for 15 to 30 seconds. Stir and it will be shiny and even again.

Yields 2 1/2 cups

2 comments:

  1. If that picture isn't tempting, I don't know what is! What a great recipe to have on hand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM - I never thought of making my own hot fudge but you have convinced me otherwise! Btw - your pics look great!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails