Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Barefoot Bloggers: Real Spaghetti and Meatballs

Another late one... whoops!

I really enjoyed this dish! I did end up making it with campanelle to appease my spaghetti-abhorring husband...

One of the benefits to doing a recipe late is that I get to reap the experiences of others. There were several mentions of the sauce not being enough, so I planned on using 2 cans of crushed, at least. Then, of course, I realized that I completely forgot to order the canned tomatoes (yay peapod!) and only had one 28-oz can of diced tomatoes.

I worried about the thin consistency along with the small quantity, so I also added some tomato paste and half a jar of tomato sauce that I had hanging out in my pantry. It could have used some more sauce, but definitely wasn't bad.


I tweaked the meatballs just slightly to make them more like my grandmother's and I was pretty proud of myself. They weren't quite as good as hers, but I suspect I will never reach her level of meatball greatness. So with that in mind, I was quite pleased.


Ingredients

For the meatballs:

  • 1/2 pound ground veal
  • 1/2 pound ground pork
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 cup fresh white bread crumbs (4 slices, crusts removed)
  • 1/4 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 extra-large egg, beaten
  • Vegetable oil
  • Olive oil

For the sauce:

  • 1 tablespoon good olive oil
  • 1 cup chopped yellow onion (1 onion)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 1/2 cup good red wine, such as Chianti
  • 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, or plum tomatoes in puree, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

For serving:

  • 1 1/2 pounds spaghetti, cooked according to package directions
  • Freshly grated Parmesan

Directions

Place the ground meats, both bread crumbs, parsley, Parmesan, salt, pepper, nutmeg, egg, and 3/4 cup warm water in a bowl. Combine very lightly with a fork. Using your hands, lightly form the mixture into 2-inch meatballs. You will have 14 to 16 meatballs.

Pour equal amounts of vegetable oil and olive oil into a large (12-inch) skillet to a depth of 1/4-inch. Heat the oil. Very carefully, in batches, place the meatballs in the oil and brown them well on all sides over medium-low heat, turning carefully with a spatula or a fork. This should take about 10 minutes for each batch. Don't crowd the meatballs. Remove the meatballs to a plate covered with paper towels. Discard the oil but don't clean the pan.

For the sauce, heat the olive oil in the same pan. Add the onion and saute over medium heat until translucent, 5 to 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add the wine and cook on high heat, scraping up all the brown bits in the pan, until almost all the liquid evaporates, about 3 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, parsley, salt, and pepper.

Return the meatballs to the sauce, cover, and simmer on the lowest heat for 25 to 30 minutes, until the meatballs are cooked through. Serve hot on cooked spaghetti and pass the grated Parmesan.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm - Now I'm craving spaghetti & meatballs! I love the pasta you chose too - so pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails