Sunday, November 2, 2008

Pasta with Chicken and Broccoli in a White Wine Cheddar Sauce

This dinner by Katie was amazing. It has popped up on my Google reader about seventy billion times, so I knew it had to be a winner. It absolutely was. I don't even know what else to say about this meal, other than the fact that it will for sure make a encore appearance.


I ended up using chicken thighs instead of breasts, but that's really only because I accidentally grabbed them out of the freezer. Otherwise, I don't think I changed a thing...



Ingredients:
  • 1 lb. ziti
  • 3 Tbsp butter
  • 1/2 cup roasted garlic paste (made by roasting garlic in oven and squuezing garlic out of skin) (I used about 1/4 - 1/3 cup of roasted garlic paste in a tube, and it was perfect.)
  • 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 c. dry vermouth or dry white wine
  • 2 c. low-sodium chicken stock
  • 1 large head of brocolli, cut into florettes (about 2 c.)
  • 10 oz. cooked chicken, cubed or shredded (about 2 c.)
  • 3 oz. aged reserve cheddar (preferably white), grated (about 1 1/2 c.)
  • 4 - 6 thin strips of parmesan cheese (optional)
  • salt and ground pepper

Bring 4 qt. of water to a boil in lare pot and cook ziti according to box directions to only al dente and set aside.

At the same time, lightly steam broccolli florettes on to of pan in steamer and set aside.

Meanwhile, melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat.

When just coming to foaming, add garlic paste and cook until fragrant (about 1 min)

Add flour and cook until beginning to turn golden (about 2 min.)

Add vermouth and cook until evaporated (about 1 min).

Stir broth into pan and simmer sauce until slightly thickened (about 2 min).

Add cheddar and stir constantly while returning to a boil.

Fold in ziti cook for one minute additional and remove from heat.

Add brocolli and chicken and fold until sauce covers uniformly.

Plate and top with one or two strips of parmesean (optional) and serve.

2 comments:

  1. I have had this starred to make forever, you just reminded me about it! I have never heard of roasted garlic paste in a tube, I am going to have to look for that. Was it in the produce section or with the spices?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... it was in my grocery store's Italian section - near the canned tomatoes. They also had tomato paste and some other kind... all in tubes. I believe they run around 4 or 5 bucks...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails