- 1/4 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup milk or water
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 pound lean ground sirloin (I used turkey.)
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
- 1 large egg
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, cut into 20 (1/2-inch) cubes
- Whatever sauce you are making to go along with the meatballs (I used the bolognese from the previous post.)
Add the beef, chopped garlic, parsley, Parmigiano-Reggiano, egg and 1 teaspoon of salt to the soaked bread crumbs and stir with a fork until combined. Place about 2 tablespoons of the mixture in your hand and press a mozzarella cube into the center. Shape the meat around the cheese, forming a ball. Repeat with the remaining meat and mozzarella.
Stir the sauce and raise the heat to medium- low. Carefully place the meatballs in the sauce, submerging them completely. Bring the sauce to a simmer and cook without stirring for 20 minutes.